Sunday, September 26, 2010

Aria Richard Rodriguez (reflection)

I found this article to be sad. I never realized that learning a new language would be so effective in ones life. When I think about learning a new language I find it exciting. In high school I took Spanish for four years and I really enjoyed it. I enjoy learning about the different language and different culture. I also think it is very important to know some of another language.
  This article was very interesting. I never realized that coming here to America and learning English would make someone feel like they are losing their own culture. My best friend is full blooded Portuguese and her family and herself speak Portuguese and English at home. My friend and her family is the complete opposite of Richard and his family. My friend and her family is still very close to their Portuguese culture and even though they all speak English very well at home they will switch back and forth between Portuguese and English while they are speaking to each other.
  I think it is very important to learn at least simple words in another language especially for us future teachers. In the class room I am working in for the VIPs some of the children cant even speak English. So like in the article "To hear my teachers address me in Spanish when I entered the classroom. I would have felt less afraid". It is a teachers job to make the students feel comfortable in their classroom and if that means saying hello to them in a different language then that's what we should do. I find it very important for teachers to know some simple words in a different language to make their students feel comfortable in the classroom.
An article about the importance and advantages of learning a second language
  In class I would like to discuss the importance for teachers to learn a bit of another language.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with the learning a new language as being exciting. I loved learning spanish in high school, i also took 4 years. I never thought of it as taking away from who i was but maybe that was because it was so late in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne I also agree that learning a new language in school was fun. I think that the difference between when we learned and when Richard learned is that he was pushed to completely change the way he talked in life. His parents were told not to speak Spanish at the house, which should be Richards comfort zone, and Richard was told to only listen to the English language. When we learned to speak another language, the classroom was for the most part the only time we spoke that language and if we spoke it at home it was mainly to show others what we learned. I believe that since Richard was told to completely disregard his native language it not only hindered himself but also his whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, I completely agree with Kevin. I figure you're talking about Julie here(: and I think it's wonderful that she speaks two languages and both are basically perfect, not like i know much Portuguese though. I think it's important to have, as Kevin said, a safe zone where you're embracing whatever language you are a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Beckah:)

    Of course I agree with you too Anne. I really do feel it's important to stay connected with your roots.

    ReplyDelete