Sunday, October 3, 2010

Gayness Multicultural Education and Community by Dennis Carlson (extended comments)

  This article Gayness Multicultural Education and Community by Dennis Carlson was a difficult article for me to read. But as I was reading it I was reminded of the other day when I was watching the news with my parents about a young gay man who jumped off the George Washington Bridge because he couldn't handle being harassed anymore. Jess wrote about this in her blog so I decided to do the extended comment instead of pretty much repeating what she wrote. Jess writes "This man, named Tyler Clementi, was a freshmen at Rutgers State University of New Jersey, and, as you can read in this news article, he was pushed beyond the limit, and decided to end his life by jumping off the George Washington Bridge" When I heard about this on the news I was stunned. People need to grow up. As they were talking about this on the news they also brought up several other cases of kids killing themselves because they couldn't take being bullied anymore just because they were gay.
Jess wrote this: "I am extremely disgusted, to say the least, with what is going on in our world right now." I completely agree with her. People are so judgemental and it needs to stop.
  "Carlson argues that people, kids especially, need to become aware that there are differences in this world, and they need to be accepted. No matter how against something kids are, they need to somehow reprogram their brains and think otherwise. To do this, teachers and departments of schools need to stop being cowards, and they need to start teaching and acknowledging homosexuality in their curriculum. They need to know that it's okay to teach about these things, because it is present in the real world. It's when teachers decide to maneuver around the subject and ignore it, then students begin to think that maybe it is wrong, and maybe it shouldn't be accepted. And that's when gay student themselves are too afraid to stand up for themselves and live their lives openly as who they really are."
 I totally agree with Jess. This is a problem that can't be ignored just like race. We are taught about the different race problems but never once are we taught about homosexuality. This is a problem that just keeps getting swept under the rug and that's not right. This is a huge problem in our society and we need yo do something about it before another person takes their own life just because they cant take being bullied anymore just because they are gay.
  In class I would like to talk more about what we can do to work on solving this problem.

3 comments:

  1. I also agree with you and Jess I think this is something that need to be talked about in schools. I am also horrified when I hear of children killing themselves. That is not a way they should handle the problem. People should also not be harassing these poor people into such a state of depression that they find no other choice. This must be stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to see you talking to one another across your blogs... Anne, you make good points here in connection with Tyler CLementi's death. I want to talk more about our role as teachers in class -- what do you hear Carlson saying about this issue?

    ReplyDelete