Monday, October 25, 2010

Brown v Board of Education and Wise video

    Last year I had to read Brown vs Board of education for my political science class and the different things we talked about in that class I found to be interesting.So, I learned a lot about these different cases like what I viewed on the website. I found it very sad that we had to set certain laws just so blacks could be treated equally. For example they chose to be "seperate but equal" but who was this really helping? In reality it wasnt equal. The whites had better schools while the blacks were placed into basements at schools. Like what happened in the case of "Sweat vs. Painter" This case is about a black man that applied for a white law school in Texas because they didn't have a law school for blacks set up. Instead of enrolling him into the school like every white student they set up a few rooms in the basements for them and had only three part time teachers. This was ruled unconstitutional. He was seperated but was it really equal?

     Wise's video shows me that after all this time their is still segregation all over the place. Looking at this video and reading the information on the website I have noticed that not much has changed over the years. We still have racism. Many people will argue that they didnt vote for Obama just because he was black or the other way around many people did vote for Obama because he was black.

3 comments:

  1. I like the way you said that some people voted for Obama just because he was black, I mean I know you saw the kids of EP they had no idea about his political views or what he believed they only saw the color of his skin, and isn't that more racist? good points anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This weeks assigment made me think about Political science too!

    It's alot of people voted from Obama truly because he was black but some people did their resreach, i think is important people are willing to "break that glass".

    I totally Remember the school's reaction those Obama cut-outs and maskes roamed the halls for weeks!

    ReplyDelete